idoneapps

Author Topic: Need Help: Invalid SIM, Carrier Unlocked Note 5 N920P on Verizon, w/ new vzw SIM  (Read 735 times)

Offline Cchag1

• View Profile
Hi all. I've been trying for days to get my originally Sprint, now carrier unlocked, rooted on QC5 MOAR Rom, Note 5 N920P... up and running as we have switched to Verizon near Christmas. Right before switching I wanted to make sure it would work and a Verizon rep had an idea that he believed would work and it did as far as we can tell. He had my IMEI added to their database since the Note 5 is not being newly activated anymore normally. Right off the bat we had it working with a Verizon SIM that had been activated on a dummy phone in the Verizon store. My (other above details still the same) once Sprint Note 5 showed LTE and Verizon Wireless service. I browsed a few sites, streamed videos, made calls and sent texts. The only thing I hadn't tried specifically was an mms. All else was well so I gave that SIM back to the guy and said I will be back in a week when we make the switch. When I made the switch, I did this same process of having a rep activate a SIM on another dummy phone at a different Verizon store. It seemed to be good to go but only to the point with Roaming always showing and everything else working except only with 3G speeds, no LTE.  I was fine with that thinking it could be a signal issue, or a new account issue, etc. and we made the deal.

Fast forward a week or so and I was unable to send or receive mms and VERY frustrated with streaming CD quality music while driving as I only ever got roaming at 3G speeds, (V4A for music and the stylus for teaching combo are the real reasons I am being so stubborn to keep this phone) even next to my wife getting 4G LTE on her new phone.

I tinkered with Signal Guard Pro as well as Phone Info apps trying to get it to work. At one point I had LTE Verizon Wireless service working for data but it would not let me make calls. I could switch it back to the roaming-working settings but it was not something to do as a daily driver situation, no pun intended.

Whatever the last switch I made was, my Note 5 no longer recognizes the Verizon SIM. I even got a new SIM activated the same way and no dice. It's not a faulty SIM either, as the new one I have from this long effort is working perfectly well on my quite old Verizon LGG2. LGG2 runs like it's new again.

I have also tried putting the old Sprint SIM into the Note 5 and it finds signal with that SIM and even tries to activate on the Sprint network but it won't let it so it just spins its wheels trying to activate because we are no longer an active account with Sprint.

I am close to the point of dropping $400 ish on an unlocked Note 8 to activate on Verizon, root it and get V4A working. But seriously, knowing it can be done - and being a stubborn, puzzle-liking, flash-friendly phone enthusiast... why give up now?

Any help would be amazing. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance...  C-:

Offline Cchag1

• View Profile
One other detail...

Using the Phone Info app, I can see that the CSC may be causing problems? I had tried flashing back to stock, re-rooting with the M.O.A.R. QC5 ROM trying to get from 3G to LTE. I got it back to the same situation but with no improvement. I tried switching the CSC code to and from SPR (branded) and XAS (un-branded Sprint). Is there a mismatch now?

I realize there are so many variables but some troubleshooting guidance would be awesome. Thanks.

Offline Nodial

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • idone.apps
Hello Cchag1,

on Sprint device the "invalid SIM" message shows up when the device is not SIM unlocked.

Have you used our app to unlock it?
See you ;-)

Offline Cchag1

• View Profile
No, I have not. Sprint, however, already unlocked the device. Is this a different lock? If so, how on earth did I lock it myself. Moreover, how would I go about undoing whatever I did? I am willing to use the app but I would like to be sure it will work before going ahead and making the purchase. Thank you for that quick reply!

Offline Nodial

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • idone.apps
The device can relock if the user issue NV REBUILD or restore a partition backup saved when the device was locked.
It could also happen that Sprint locks the device back on certain situations.

Our app allows the users to unlock their devices (please note that one license is valid on a single device) multiple times, so if relock happens then the users can use the app again.

Please note that our app requires root.

Also, from the topic I read you will use Verizon that's a CDMA carrier: About CDMA carriers you should know that those use a file called PRL in order to retrieve the antennas positions, such file in your phone contains the positions of your original carrier so if you're going to use another CDMA carrier it will work, but the phone will recognize the network as roaming (it's not a problem though).

In order to fix the problem you have either to use a GSM carrier (such protocol doesn’t use the PRL file) or update the PRL with the new CDMA carrier data (this last step is very difficult to be achieved).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:09:39 PM by Nodial »
See you ;-)

Offline Cchag1

• View Profile
Well this is reassuring news! Thank you. I think my last question then is how "difficult" is it exactly to replace the PRL from Sprint with the one from Verizon?

Offline Nodial

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • idone.apps
You need to find and updated PRL file of your carrier (on XDA there are a few links), then download QPST, then do this:

1. Set the communication settings to "CDMA MODEM":
Dial the code ##3424#
Tap on CDMA MODEM
Tap on QUALCOMM USB SETTINGS
Tap on DM + MODEM + ADB

2. Connect your phone to the PC, it will be seen as a USB modem
Open the Device Manager> Ports (COM & LPT)
Note the number of the modem port i.e. COM13

3. Open QPST Configuration
Click Add New Port ...
Input in Port and Port Label the port you previously wrote down (eg. COM13)
Select OK
In QPST you will see the phone as connected.

4. Click on the "Start Clients" tab at the top and select "Service Programming"

5. Select your phone on the list and hit OK

6. Click on "Read from Phone' in the bottom left

7. Enter your MSL when prompted and hit OK

8. Click on the "Roam" tab then click "Browse" and navigate to your PRL file. After selecting your PRL click "Write to Phone".

9. Your phone will reboot at this point and you will see a couple popups on your computer that you can just hit OK to close. Let your phone reboot and don't close QPST until it is finished writing to your phone.

10. The PRL should be written to your phone now. You can verify it by going to settings > about phone > software information > more > PRL Version. If you want to switch back to a stock Sprint PRL then all you need to do is go to settings > system updates and click Update PRL.

11. Reset the communication settings to "PDA":
Dial the code ##3424#
Tap on PDA
Tap on QUALCOMM USB SETTINGS
Tap on MTP + ADB
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:06:42 PM by Nodial »
See you ;-)

Offline Cchag1

• View Profile
Wow! That's not too difficult when you have a set of directions like that! You really are a hero. I spotted an old video tutorial about this same process just a moment ago while I was waiting to hear back from you which is also reassuring that this will work.

Ok. Let's make sure I do this all correctly. Right now I have the old Sprint SIM in the Note 5. It's on MOAR 1.4. Rooted. Not showing my actual phone number for hopefully obvious reasons since the phone in my pocket is working with the SIM I will hopefully be using in the Note 5 (It's got a nano in a micro tray). What order do I complete this process in?

Do I need to flash back to stock first or anything? Should I be re-installing the rom somewhere in the process?

Last;y before we get going, is there a preferred way that you would like to communicate back and forth? I am happy to patiently work on it this way on your forum if that is what you prefer but since you are incredibly helpful and kind to be assisting at all, I am more than happy to proceed according to your liking. Thank you so much!!!

Offline Cchag1

• View Profile
I also noticed your app has a "Flash .prl (Roaming List)" option available which can/would be enabled with purchase of the app. Would this accomplish the same task as the one described in your post with the steps for the QPST?

Offline Nodial

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • idone.apps
To answer your questions:

I don't suggest to use a custom ROM as those may lack needed services/apps required to unlock the device and/or to let the device work with all carriers.
My suggestion is to flash the stock ROM, root it using our instructions: https://idoneapps.com/forum/index.php?board=10.0 then use our app to perform the unlock:
https://idoneapps.com/instructions.php#unlock_single
Included you will have Hotspot and tethering unlock, MSL read, debrand, Hands Free Activation removal and many other features.

About the flash PRL feature unluckily it works up to Android 5, from Marshmallow the PRL writing method changed and we weren't able to achieve it anymore :'(

About the communication the email is fine, please note that I'm italian and my time zone is GMT +2, I'm actually going to sleep right now!  :-X
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:05:09 PM by Nodial »
See you ;-)

Offline Cchag1

• View Profile
Ok, last question and then I will buy the app and give it a go...

With which SIM shall I do the flash back to stock and/or the unlock app and then QPST?

Offline Cchag1

• View Profile
Oh well. I see now that you are sleeping, no problem. I will reach out for further support if needed. Thank you so much for your help.

Offline Nodial

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • idone.apps
The SIM is not needed, you can unlock the device without a SIM inserted.
See you ;-)

Offline Cchag1

• View Profile
WOW! I never would have guessed that. Very interesting. THANK YOU! I will definitely buy the app and give it a go. Please sleep well knowing you helped someone today (as long as I do this right ;-)

Offline Cchag1

• View Profile
YYYYYYESSSSSSSS!!!! It worked! I am up and running with my N920P on Verizon (now aka, "Preferred System") with LTE working! There was no need to use the QPST now that I am rooted with stock as it is registering LTE (though the icon says roaming) and download speeds are appropriate for 4G/LTE as such over mobile. Thank you SO MUCH!!!